Genealogical Research Sources
Rockland County, New York
ROCKLAND COUNTY ARCHIVES, Building S, 50 Sanatorium Road, Pomona, NY 10970
Chris Bandmann, County Archivist.
- Orange County Deeds – 1703-1798, two libers and microfilm.
- Orange County Mortgages – 1703-1798 – one liber and microfilm.
- Rockland County Deeds (1798-1908). Libers and microfilm, plus
- Rockland County Mortgages – libers 1798-1931. Index: on microfilm.
- Rockland County Mortgages (1830 to date) – microfilm only.
- Rockland County, State Census records Clarkstown,
Haverstraw, Orangetown, Ramapo, Stony Point, 1865-1925.
- Rockland County, Federal
Census: 1830, 1840, 1860, 1880 – Book form, no index.
- Marriage Records (1908-1926). License Affidavits: 1908-1918. Index,
paper and microfilm
Naturalization Oaths: 1836-1896. 1,828 records on microfilm.
Naturalization Papers: 1812-1991. 24,718 records on paper and
- Will Indexes in book form & on microfilm: 1798-1957. Will
Indexes – alphabetical by surname: 1957-1985. Will Index on computer.
(subdivision, annexations, railroad, highway.)
KIOSK – Records available on computer:
Naturalization Records, Marriage Records, Grantee/Grantor, Wills,
Surrogate Court Records, Court Index, Judgments, Orders.
Society of Rockland County Records: Census records: 1702, 1855, 1800,
1892; Budke Collection of Wills; Budke Collection of Deaths
ROCKLAND COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE, 1
South Main Street, Suite 100, New City, NY 10956
Piperato, County Clerk.
- Rockland County Deeds - (1798 to date) – libers and microfilm.
- Rockland County Mortgages - (1931 to date) – libers and
Certificates, Incorporation records, Subdivision maps 1827-2002,
Claire Tholl Map Collection, Rockland Aerial Photos 1931-1954; State
Highway taking maps
- www.rocklandcountyclerk.com – searchable
records, downloadable forms, schedule of fees and useful links.
SURROGATE’S COURT, 1 South Main Street, New City, 10956
- Guardian Records – (on microfilm)
- Letters of Administration (on microfilm)
- Probate Records (on microfilm)
- Wills (on microfilm)
HISTORICAL SOCIETIES, GENEALOGICAL SOCIETIES, MUSEUMS, LIBRARIES
- Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Road, New City,
845-634-8690. Call for appointment. Rockland County
information, maps, genealogical files. Publications and Maps for
- Tappantown Historical Society, P. O. box 71, Tappan, NY 10983
Newsletter. Meetings at DeWint Carriage House, Tappan.
- Genealogical Society of Rockland County, P.O. Box 444, New
City, NY 10956.
Meetings held at New City Library, 4th Tuesday of the month.
- Genealogical Society of Bergen County, P.O. Box 432, Midland
Park, NJ 07432-0432
Meetings held at Ridgewood Public Library, 125 N. Maple Avenue,
Fourth Monday of the month at 7 p.m.
- Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main Street, Goshen, NY
Excellent research library.
- Westchester County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 518, White
Plains, NY 10603
- New City Library, 220 Main Street, New City, NY 10956-4000.
Sally Pellegrini, Local History Librarian, Community Relations
Largest collection of Local History and Genealogical books. Rockland Co.
Federal and State census records on mirofilm with indexes for
1800-1860. Governmental, Clarkstown, and school information.
Various newspapers on microfilm: 1847 to present. Rockland Co. telephone
books 1957 to present – on microfilm: Nyack 1883-1890; Haverstraw:
1884-1890; Rockland County: 1910-1955.
DAR Patriot Index. IGI (International Genealogical Index) on
Census Microfilm Rental Program for Rockland Co. library cardholders
- Blauvelt Free Library, 86 South Western Highway, Blauvelt, NY
Local history and genealogy. www.rcls.org/blv/
- Kings Daughters Public Library, 10 West Ramapo Road,
Garnerville, NY 10923. www.hkdpl.org/
- Kings Daughters Public Library, branch, 85 Main Street,
Haverstraw, NY 10927-1955. 845-429-3445
- Nanuet Public Library, 149 Church St., Nanuet, NY 10954-3088. www.rcls.org/nan/ 845-623-4281
- Nyack Library, 59 S. Broadway, Nyack, NY 10960-3816. www.nyack.lib.ny.us/
- Orangeburg Library, 20 Greenbush Rd., Orangeburg, 10962-2201.
- Palisades Free Library, 19 Closter Ave., Palisades, NY
- Pearl River Public Library, 80 Franklin Ave., Pearl River,
- Piermont Public Library, 153 Hudson Terrace, Piermont,
- Rose Memorial Library, 79 E. Main St., Stony Point, 10980-1619.
- Sloatsburg Public Library, 1 Liberty Rock Rd., Sloatsburg,
- Suffern Free Library, 210 Lafayette Ave., Suffern, NY 10901. www.rcls.org/sufpl/ 845-357-1237
- Tappan Library, 93 Main Street, Tappan, 10983-2426. www.rcls.org/tapl/
- Tomkins Cove Public Library, 419 Liberty Drive North, Tompkins
Cove, 10986-9727. tomkinscovelibrary.org/
- Valley Cottage Library, 110 Rte. 303, Valley Cottage,
- West Nyack Free Library, 65 Strawtown Rd., West Nyack,
30 Youngs Road, Mahwah, NJ 201-327-1940
840 Soldier Hill Road, Emerson, NJ 201-262-8278
BIRTH, MARRIAGE, DEATH RECORDS
Vital Records Indexes: The State Archives makes
available for on-site use copies of State Department of Health microfiche
indexes to birth, marriage, and death certificates filed in that
Department. The indexes start in 1880-81 and cover the entire state
outside New York City. Entries give only name, date, place of event,
and certificate number. There are two sets of indexes available for
public use: 1) New York State Archives, Albany; 2) National Archives
Northeast Region, 201 Varick Street, New York, NY 10014 (tel.:
Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates. To obtain copies or
abstracts contact New York State Department of Health, Vital Records
Section, Corning Tower Building, Albany, NY 12237
www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/ ; tel.
518-474-3077. For NEW YORK CITY VITAL RECORDS AND INDEXES:
New York City Municipal Archives, 31 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007
home2.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/home.shtml ; tel.
Prior to 1880, if available, vital records are at the local town or
village clerk’s office.
Marriage licenses are available only at a town clerk’s
office. Birth or deaths occurring at Nyack, Good Samaritan
or Community (formerly Ramapo General) Hospitals, write to Village
Clerk of Nyack, Suffern, or Spring Valley, respectively. Web
links for many of the five towns and nineteen villages in Rockland County
can be found on the Internet under at
Return to the Genealogical Society of Rockland
County home page.
Updated August 2006.