Genealogical Research Sources
Rockland County, New York
ROCKLAND COUNTY ARCHIVES, Building S, 50 Sanatorium Road, Pomona, NY 10970
Archivist Peter Scheibner. ScheibnPco.rockland.ny.us
- Orange County Deeds – 1703-1798, two libers and microfilm.
- Orange County Mortgages – 1703-1798 – one liber and microfilm.
- Rockland County Deeds (1798-1908). Libers and microfilm, plus index.
- Rockland County Mortgages – libers 1798-1931. Index: on microfilm.
- Rockland County Mortgages (1830 to date) – microfilm only.
- Rockland County, State Census records
Haverstraw, Orangetown, Ramapo, Stony Point, 1865-1925.
- Rockland County,
1830, 1840, 1860, 1880 – Book form, no index.
- Marriage Records (1908-1926). License Affidavits: 1908-1918.
Index, paper and
Naturalization Oaths: 1836-1896. 1,828 records on microfilm.
Naturalization Papers: 1812-1991. 24,718 records on paper and microfilm.
- Will Indexes in book form & on microfilm: 1798-1957. Will Indexes –
alphabetical by surname: 1957-1985. Will Index on computer.
(subdivision, annexations, railroad, highway.)
KIOSK – Records available on computer:
Naturalization Records, Marriage Records, Grantee/Grantor, Wills, Surrogate
Court Records, Court Index, Judgments, Orders.
Society of Rockland County Records: Census records: 1702, 1855, 1800, 1892;
Budke Collection of Wills; Budke Collection of Deaths
ROCKLAND COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE,
1 South Main Street, Suite 100, New City, NY 10956
County Clerk. www.rocklandcountyclerk.com
- Rockland County Deeds - (1798 to date) – libers and microfilm.
- Rockland County Mortgages - (1931 to date) – libers and microfilm.
Certificates, Incorporation records, Subdivision maps 1827-2002, Claire Tholl
Map Collection, Rockland Aerial Photos 1931-1954; State Highway taking maps
- Access via
www.rocklandcountyclerk.com – searchable records, downloadable forms,
schedule of fees and useful links.
SURROGATE’S COURT, 1 South Main Street, New City, 10956
- Guardian Records – (on microfilm)
- Letters of Administration (on microfilm)
- Probate Records (on microfilm)
- Wills (on microfilm)
HISTORICAL SOCIETIES, GENEALOGICAL SOCIETIES, MUSEUMS, LIBRARIES
- Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Road, New City, NY
845-634-8690. Call for appointment. Rockland County information, maps, genealogical
files. Publications and Maps for sale.
- Tappantown Historical Society, P. O. box 71, Tappan, NY 10983
Newsletter. Meetings at DeWint Carriage House, Tappan.
- Genealogical Society of Rockland County, P.O. Box 444, New City,
Meetings held at New City Library, 4th Tuesday of the month.
- Genealogical Society of Bergen County, P.O. Box 432, Midland Park,
Meetings held at Ridgewood Public Library, 125 N. Maple Avenue, Ridgewood,
Fourth Monday of the month at 7 p.m.
- Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main Street, Goshen, NY 10924
Excellent research library.
- Westchester County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 518, White Plains,
- New City Library, 220 Main Street, New City, NY 10956-4000.
Sally Pellegrini, Local History Librarian, Community Relations Department.
Largest collection of Local History and Genealogical books. Rockland Co. Federal
and State census records on mirofilm with indexes for 1800-1860. Governmental,
Clarkstown, and school information. Various newspapers on microfilm: 1847
to present. Rockland Co. telephone books 1957 to present – on microfilm: Nyack
1883-1890; Haverstraw: 1884-1890; Rockland County: 1910-1955.
DAR Patriot Index. IGI (International Genealogical Index) on computer, CDROM.LDS.
Census Microfilm Rental Program for Rockland Co. library cardholders only.
- Blauvelt Free Library, 86 South Western Highway, Blauvelt, NY 10913-1527
Local history and genealogy. www.rcls.org/blv/
- Kings Daughters Public Library, 10 West Ramapo Road, Garnerville,
- Kings Daughters Public Library, branch, 85 Main Street, Haverstraw, NY 10927-1955.
- Nanuet Public Library, 149 Church St., Nanuet, NY 10954-3088. www.rcls.org/nan/ 845-623-4281
- Nyack Library, 59 S. Broadway, Nyack, NY 10960-3816. www.nyack.lib.ny.us/ 845-358-3370
- Orangeburg Library, 20 Greenbush Rd., Orangeburg, 10962-2201. www.rcls.org/org 845-359-2244
- Palisades Free Library, 19 Closter Ave., Palisades, NY 10964-0610. www.rcls.org/pal/
- Pearl River Public Library, 80 Franklin Ave., Pearl River, 10965-2594. www.pearlriverlibrary.org/
- Piermont Public Library, 153 Hudson Terrace, Piermont, 10968-1040. www.rcls.org/pmt/ 845-359-4595
- Rose Memorial Library, 79 E. Main St., Stony Point, 10980-1619. www.rcls.org/stp/ 845-786-2100
- Sloatsburg Public Library, 1 Liberty Rock Rd., Sloatsburg, 10974-2304.
- Suffern Free Library, 210 Lafayette Ave., Suffern, NY 10901. www.rcls.org/sufpl/ 845-357-1237
- Tappan Library, 93 Main Street, Tappan, 10983-2426. www.rcls.org/tapl/
- Tomkins Cove Public Library, 419 Liberty Drive North, Tompkins Cove,
- Valley Cottage Library, 110 Rte. 303, Valley Cottage, 10989-1805. www.vclib.org
- West Nyack Free Library, 65 Strawtown Rd., West Nyack, 10994-1898.
30 Youngs Road, Mahwah, NJ 201-327-1940
840 Soldier Hill Road, Emerson, NJ 201-262-8278
BIRTH, MARRIAGE, DEATH RECORDS
Records Indexes: The State Archives makes available for on-site use
copies of State Department of Health microfiche indexes to birth, marriage,
and death certificates filed in that Department. The indexes start in 1880-81
and cover the entire state outside New York City. Entries give only name, date,
place of event, and certificate number. There are two sets of indexes available
for public use: 1) New York State Archives, Albany; 2) National Archives Northeast
Region, 201 Varick Street, New York, NY 10014 (tel.: 212-337-1300).
Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates. To obtain copies or abstracts
contact New York State Department of Health, Vital Records Section, Corning
Tower Building, Albany, NY 12237
; tel. 518-474-3077. For NEW YORK CITY VITAL RECORDS AND INDEXES: New
York City Municipal Archives, 31 Chambers Street, New York, NY 10007
; tel. 212-788-8580.
Prior to 1880, if available, vital records are at the local town or village
Marriage licenses are available only at a town clerk’s office. Birth
or deaths occurring at Nyack, Good Samaritan or Community (formerly Ramapo
General) Hospitals, write to Village Clerk of Nyack, Suffern, or Spring
Valley, respectively. Web links for many of the five towns and
nineteen villages in Rockland County can be found on the Internet under at
Return to the Genealogical Society of Rockland County home page.
Updated August 2006.